Professional Teeth Whitening Port Coquitlam
Professional Whitening Procedures – Teeth Whitening Port Coquitlam
These are the three teeth whitening procedures we offer in our Port Coquitlam dentist office:
1. ZOOM In Office Whitening System
A bright sparkling smile can make a big difference for everyone. The Zoom Chairside Whitening System makes it easier and faster than ever before. The complete procedure takes about one and a half hours and results are immediate. After your procedure you will be given a customized take home kit for touch ups. Most patients only require touch ups once per year or for special events only.
2. Professional Custom Whitening Trays
A cost-effective way to professionally whiten your teeth at home, with the help of your dentist. After your exam and cleaning, we take impressions of your teeth and make custom-fitted whitening trays. We schedule a insertion appointment, to ensure that your trays fit properly, and instruct you on their proper use with the bleaching materials provided in our take home kit. Treatment lasts for periods of approximately one hour per day, with a typical treatment ranging from 7 to 10 days in length (varying on the amount and tenacity of the staining on your teeth). Custom whitening trays can be used with solutions of various strength. Depending on personal staining habits and at home care, touch ups are often required, although infrequent.
3. Professional Whitening Strips
The most economic system to remove minimal staining, whitening strips are clear, thin, flexible pieces of plastic (polyethylene) that have been coated on one side with a thin film of hydrogen peroxide whitening agent. A strip is simply positioned over the stained teeth and then gently pressed into place to stabilize it and create maximum contact between the strip’s whitener and the teeth being treated. Once the appropriate treatment time has elapsed, the strip is simply peeled off and discarded. Depending on the strength of the whitening strips, treatment time can vary from 10 to 30 days. Touch ups and/or ongoing treatments are required in most cases.
What about Sensitivity?
For patients who are prone to sensitivity or develop sensitivity during whitening procedures, we recommend preconditioning your teeth for 2-3 weeks prior to whitening. This is done with desensitizing products we have available in the office.
Maintain your White Smile!
Once you have that bright smile, here are a few tips on the best ways to maintain it. These suggestions, in addition to regular visits to our office, will be enable you to have your smile for life!
To keep your teeth as white as possible, we recommend the following tips:
- Avoid drinking coffee, dark syrup sodas, red wine and eating blueberries. These all stain teeth quickly, as does tobacco use, mustard, ketchup, or anything with strong colours.
- Drink from a straw (where possible), to allow food dyes to bypass teeth completely.
- Eating raw vegetables, especially the crunchy ones like celery will help clean your teeth and remove surface stains.
- Believe it or not, dental organizations also recommend chewing gum (sugarless, of course) after a meal if you can’t brush right away. The mechanical action of chewing gum can stimulate saliva and help clean teeth surfaces.
Our office will be happy to schedule a consultation about your cosmetic options to whiten and improve the look of your smile!